Staff Software Engineer DevOps (remote) @ Ad Hoc Team - Chicago, IL
8 days ago
Staff Software Engineer DevOps (remote)
Ad Hoc Team - Chicago, IL
This is a remote position.
Ad Hoc is a digital services company that helps the federal government better serve people. Our team of experts from across the commercial industry and government brings the modern skills necessary to help agencies transform public services into digital services. Our work enables agencies to meet the needs of their users while closing the gap between consumer expectations and government
As part of our team you will work with a small team of designers and engineers to design, develop, and deliver web-based applications and services. You'll work in collaboration with our government partners to better understand and translate policy and business requirements into features, user stories, automated tests, and working code. Your work will impact the lives of millions of Americans.
Staff Software Engineers generally lead cross-functional, technical teams of 3 to 6 engineers and are the individuals primarily responsible for ensuring successful delivery for their team. They generally establish high levels of trust and operate with significant autonomy. This position is reserved for individuals with significant development and leadership experience. Staff Software Engineers are accountable for the code and systems they own, lead the resolution of major issues effectively and direct the evaluation of tradeoffs between implementation complexity and other costs. They have expert-level capabilities in at least one major technology stack.
- Our Federal contracts require that you be a U.S. Citizen to be eligible for employment.
- All work must be conducted within the U.S.
- As a government contractor, all hires may be required to meet additional pre-employment contingencies to the extent required by applicable law, at the time of hire or any time thereafter
- Some Federal contracts require a degree in computer science or additional years of experience as a substitute
- Our technical screening involves completing our homework assignments exclusively - we do not do any form of whiteboarding in our process
What You'll Do
- Ensuring effective engineering delivery on their program or team.
- Contributing to and delivering performance reviews with direct reports.
- Developing and presenting monthly reports based on program reporting requirements.
- Shaping the technical direction of their program.
- Managing the technical relationship with the client, and influencing their technical decision-making.
- Demonstrating a deep awareness of how changes they make interact with all components in a broader system. This includes technologies for frontend, backend, infrastructure, usability, and design, as well as varying development, testing, and release methodologies within an organization.
- Planning and executing on roadmaps for new projects without explicit guidance and direction from technical supervisors.
- Actively driving conversations and planning sessions with partners and key stakeholders, and representing the engineering practice while advocating for the best technical solutions and communicating tradeoffs. Ultimately providing significant positive impact to a program's roadmap.
- Influencing the customer toward successful outcomes by establishing trust through reliable and successful execution and demonstrated competency.
- Providing vision for other engineers within their area of influence, and advocating for that vision while taking into account client requirements.
- Prioritizing high-impact work and delivering on that work over non-critical tasks.
- Periodically traveling to the client site to work with and present to partners and stakeholders as necessary.
- Elaborating and evolving on complex and ambiguous products to uncover new constraints and opportunities.
- Assigning tasks to and monitor the progress of task completion for team members.
- Providing mentorship and guidance to team members through practice, code review, presentations, and architecture. This may include, but isn't limited to game day design and execution.
- Providing general career development advice to team members, and staying up to date on career options and new opportunities within the company that may be beneficial for the growth of those engineers.
- Reducing ambiguity in the systems they work with, including additional documentation, refactoring, and testing.
- Effectively communicate on existing systems, design decisions, past performance, and a major history of the projects that they've been part of for bid-writing, tech demos, and other potentially client-facing communications.
- Informing program leadership of the health of your team and contributing to evaluation of team members, written or otherwise
- Actively contributing code and performing code review on your applications as an engineer.
- Participating in technical depth interviews with new candidates
- Conducting regular 1:1 meetings and performance reviews with direct reports; providing general career development advice to team members based on their knowledge of company policy and process
- Creating opportunities for improving not just their immediate area, but similar areas in other programs across the company.
- Ensure that all systems operate smoothly and, in coordination with QA Manager, align with ISO and CMMI quality standards.
What You'll Bring
- Minimum 8 years of experience in software design and development, architecture, operations
- Bachelor of Science in Technology or Engineering
- 8+ years of experience utilizing DevOps tools such as Terraform or CloudFormation
- 5+ years of experience building optimized docker containers
- 5+ year of experience programming in a high level language, such as Ruby or Python
- 5+ year of experience writing Groovy pipeline scripts for Jenkins
- Experience collaborating with other teams, adopting their goals as your own
- Familiarity with static analysis tools and other CI tools used for security and compliance
- Proficient spelling, grammar, and communication skills
- Experience with Amazon Web Services, in particular ECS/Fargate, CloudWatch, IAM, EC2, and S3
- Understanding of basic networking fundamentals: TCP/IP, UDP, routing, load balancing, SSH
- Experience and understanding of one or more different agile methodologies, including Scrum, XP, or SAFe.
- A desire to expand your skills and gain experience with new tooling as needed
- Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S now and in the future without sponsorship
- Company-subsidized Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- 401K Plan
- Self managed PTO
- Continuing Education/Annual Conference Attendance Stipend
Ad Hoc LLC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.
In support of the Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Act, and others like it across the country, Ad Hoc job descriptions feature the starting range we reasonably expect to pay to candidates who would join our team with little to no need for training on the responsibilities we've outlined above. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide range of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and responsibility . The range of starting pay for this role is $128,183 - $169,065 and information on benefits offered is here. Our recruiters will be happy to answer any questions you may have, and we look forward to learning more about your salary requirements.
We are looking for a frontend focused software engineer interested in writing composable and efficient code for our financial software platform.
We are looking for an experienced engineer to join our team and help build the foundation of Vault Insights. Senior Full-stack Software Engineer, Vault Insights…
Kraken Digital Asset Exchange
As part of Kraken's Frontend SRE Team, you will work within a world-class team of engineers building Kraken's infrastructure. Job Types: Full-time, Contract.
Our team and technology are responsible for making sure millions of travelers have the transportation they need when they need it globally!
We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
Matter Product Studio
Architect APIs, complex business logic, build beautiful frontends, and implement 3rd party integrations working alongside other curious engineers and team…
Zenotis Technologies Inc.
Has worked on 2 or more projects independently from initiation to deployment, working with at least 2+ engineers and providing tech oversight for a junior…
Strong skills in backend, frontend and mobile development background in modern development stacks. 3-5 years of experience as a software engineer in a customer…
Experience with the automation of testing, building, and deploying frontend solutions. You'll be working on a small, multi-functional team that may include…
Frontend/UI Lead - React will be responsible for leading a team of frontend developers focused on the design and development of frontend solutions across the…
Cognizant Technology Solutions
Help us grow our team by interviewing and recruiting new engineers. Should be able should be able to lead a POD of engineers for the Frontend development…
You will partner closely with data scientists, product managers, other engineers on our frontend and backend teams to bring cutting edge techniques to improve…
5+ years of experience as a DevOps or SRE engineer. Manage career paths, grow, and supervise 5 DevOps engineers. Sound too good to be true?