Taxonomist @ Consumer Reports - New York, NY
a month ago
Consumer Reports - New York, NY
WHO WE ARE: Consumer Reports is an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to a fair and just marketplace for consumers. Our team is made up of truth tellers, change agents, and consumer advocates who investigate and build coalitions to fight for fairness and justice in the marketplace. We leverage our evidence-based approach to demand safer products, a healthier environment, and equitable services for everyone.
THE OPPORTUNITY: Consumer Reports, one of the most influential mission-driven organizations in the world, is seeking a Taxonomist to lead its ontology/taxonomy strategy. An award-winning media organization with close to 3 million paying digital members, CR publishes daily articles covering consumer news, insights and investigations, as well as 8,500+ products and services.
As CR's Taxonomist, you will work closely with a wide array of talented staffers (e.g., editors, marketers, SEO experts, product testers, web developers, etc.) towards optimizing our content's discoverability. This role - which reports to Operations Director in the Content division - will also be responsible for developing a taxonomy roadmap, managing near and long-term objectives for the organization as a whole.
Key Responsibilities: *
- Develop and align taxonomies for classifying assets across content, testing, and product development.
- Recommend process improvements to key stakeholders that relate to ontology and taxonomy structure.
- Work with key stakeholders to identify the impact to existing internal systems when implementing changes.
- Monitor taxonomy governance and change management.
- Utilize data-centric tools and methodologies to ensure the taxonomy evolves with the business.
- Work across all divisions and products to manage controlled vocabularies and metadata.
- Serve as the business owner of the taxonomy management tool.
ABOUT YOU: Minimum qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in library science or a related field.
- Five years experience in developing/managing large, complex taxonomies in a content-driven organization.
- Experience developing and managing vocabularies and metadata schemas for information assets.
- Experience in governance and system management.
- Excellent project management.
- Strong presentation and communication skills, and ability to engage with stakeholders in other business units .
- Master’s degree in library science or a related field
- Past experience working within a media and/or content organization.
- Experience with Smart Logic.
- Familiarity with Knowledge Graph a plus
- SPARQL proficiency
- Familiarity with SEO, search and navigation
THIS POSITION REQUIRES YOU TO BE FULLY VACCINATED PRIOR TO YOUR START DATE.*
EEO STATEMENT: Consumer Reports is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
Location: 675 3rd Avenue, New York, NY 10017
Job Type: Full-time
GEI Consultants Inc
Mount Laurel, NJ
This position requires experience with identification of Eastern US flora. Projects will involve field labor, technical work, report preparation, and/or…
West Chester, PA
The Taxonomist will play a critical role in defining, developing, and organizing the taxonomy of a retail category. Plan and lead meetings to ensure alignment.
New York, NY
Professionals within the Legal and Compliance Division (LCD) provide a wide range of services to our business units.