The Associated Press is the essential global news network, delivering fast, unbiased news from every corner of the world to all media platforms and formats. Founded in 1846, AP today is the largest and most trusted source of independent news and information. On any given day more than half the world's population sees news from AP.
The Associated Press data journalism team is seeking a news applications developer
who combines advanced technical ability, a collaborative spirit and a passion for telling important stories that affect people’s lives – including about voters in the United States, public opinion and American elections. This position may be based in any U.S. city with an AP bureau.
About our team
We are a team of enterprising data journalists distributed across the U.S. doing data analysis and application development. Together we work on a variety of data-rich news projects:
- Building engaging visualizations that help readers understand the most important stories of the day.
- Drilling into large data and document sets for AP enterprise stories and investigations.
- Building newsroom tools that help us uncover the story and create visual journalism at the speed of news.
- Scraping data and executing quick-turn analysis for breaking news stories.
Our news apps developers build software to solve some of journalism’s most challenging technical problems. We’re working to make it easier to collaborate inside the AP and among newsrooms. Here are some examples of the kind of work our team takes on:
- Designing robust news apps for big stories such as the U.S. elections and hurricane tracking.
- Creating a toolkit for data analysis that helps our team work together more efficiently and in increasingly powerful ways.
- Devising solutions for collaborative data collection and management that can be used to create data sets where none currently exist.
- Building digital production tools that give non-coders the power to make interactive visual journalism.
- Crafting natural language generation pipelines that turn data into first-look stories, freeing our journalists to dive into the most important stories.
We work with reporters and editors throughout AP and around the globe. Our work contributes to nearly every beat AP covers, including environmental, race and ethnicity, business
, health and political reporting. We share the data behind our stories with members and customers who do their own local projects to tell the right story for their audience, multiplying the impact of our work for communities around the country.
We’re looking for someone with strong front-end
and familiar with one or more frameworks, such as React
, Svelte, Angular
. If you’ve worked in Node
or another language for server-side development, that’s a plus. Experience building robust applications is essential, but we’re more interested in how you solve problems than in the syntax you’ve used to solve them.
You have a commitment to doing something important with your technical skills. You embrace best practices, web standards and agile
methodologies. You write modular, reusable code. You refactor and test. But you want to do work that goes beyond the pure good of code. You want to build apps that advance journalism and have real-world impact.
You’re a problem-solver. You keep an eye on new technologies and enjoy developing creative solutions, even under tight deadlines.
You want to be part of a team. You can collaborate and communicate with people of varying technical levels. You take your technical skills seriously but understand that there’s always more to know, and you expect to learn from your teammates in addition to sharing what you know. You’re looking for a team environment that involves consistent communication and pair coding. You enjoy sharing ideas with people from diverse backgrounds, areas of expertise and experience.
And the one absolute requirement is intellectual curiosity: if you’re a lifetime learner and a willing teacher, if picking up a new technology
is your idea of fun, and if you aren’t afraid to throw yourself into research to become the instant in-house expert on a topic, then you’re our kind of candidate.
More about you:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Authorization to work in the U.S. will be mandatory.
- Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English. Professional competency in a language in addition to English is a plus.
- The ability and willingness to work at night and on weekends as coverage demands, as AP is a 24/7 operation.
Application deadline is October 14, 2021 11:59pm est
AP seeks to build an inclusive organization grounded in respect for differences. We support all aspects of diversity and provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or status as a veteran
in accordance with applicable nondiscrimination laws.